With the sadness that was the letter A for me, I’d like to turn it around and talk about something that makes me happy. Books.
I LOVE to read. It is an escape for me. I find nothing more entertaining than reading a good book and immersing myself into the story. While I tend to read a lot of crime novels, supernatural fiction, and fantasy novels, I love nothing better than historical fiction.
My favorite author of all time has to be Anne Rice. She takes you into a fictitious world based on the actual historical past. In The Witching Hour (my favorite book) she takes us back 300 years and weaves a story if a family of witches while still describing the clothes, attitudes, and social customs of each generation of this family. In The Vampire Chronicles she weaves us through thousands of years of history, told from the prospective of different individuals (vampires) who have lived it. In The Mummy (or Ramses the Damned) we go back to ancient Egypt into the twentieth century.
I could go on and on about the places I go in books, or about how much certain authors mean to me, but I’m trying to keep this blog like and not a novel in itself. Instead I thought I’d list my top ten favorite books.
1. The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
2. The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice
3. Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
4. Needful Things by Stephen King
5. Wicked by Gregory Maguire
6. Eragon by Christopher Paolini
7. The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
8. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
9. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling
10. A Density of Souls by Christopher Rice
Some other authors I enjoy are; Kathy Reichs, James Patterson, Dean Koontz, Jim Butcher, Greg Iles, and many, many more.
Books are important! I like them better than people most of the time…